Start a New Sexual Revolution



Too tired? Too busy? Too pissed off? Tell me what's shutting down your desire and I'll help you find solutions for kicking it up a notch.

Monday, January 21, 2008

From Frustration to Action

When a woman finds her partner's sexual interest waning, the obvious first step is to start a conversation. It can be a tricky conversation since men are often touchy and defensive about a lagging libido. The emphasis needs to be on how much you miss the physical part of your relationship - not on his defects or deficiencies. Ask for help in understanding what he's feeling and experiencing and don't be easily put off if he seems reluctant to talk. Let him know that you value the relationship too much to ignore something that might threaten it. Find out if there's anything you can do to help the situation.

Of course, you can't force someone to talk. If he needs time to figure things out on his own, give him some space. Tell him that you want to try the conversation again in a month. Meanwhile, focus on depersonalizing his lack of sexual interest. Even if you have put on 20 pounds in the last few years, his sexual shutdown has much more to do with him than it has to do with you. Work on maintaining non-physical kinds of intimacy and be sure you're still doing things together as a couple. Withdrawing only escalates the problem - it doesn't solve it.

Do things that enhance your self-esteem. Follow through on reaching goals, spend time with friends, exercise, treat yourself with kindness. Hopefully, you and your partner will be able to resume a physical relationship that works for both of you. If not, consider joint therapy. If he won't go, go by yourself. It's a good investment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jean Im not sure what happened.... but we are back together and we have committed to enjoying our time together. I am looking very forward to learning and growing with him in many ways. So there's excitement - just not in the bedroom! I guess, as wonderful as sex can be, both partners need to be comfortable, ready and enjoying it. I will keep working on getting him to be more open to exploring and in the meantime Im very happy to have him back in my life. I guess real love wins out- cause I love him more than I need all of my needs to be met. And I will work on me and build my esteem in other ways. I will keep you posted. Jill